Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Dangers at Casa de Buxton

My weekend started off with getting a bug bite on my face!  That just never happens to me, but it sure happened on Saturday. Clydie and I ran some errands, we returned home and were getting ready to open the front door, a damn biting fly BIT ME ON MY LEFT CHEEK.  I had hoped that I got it off my face before it bit me good, but alas I did not.  I have a bad history with these things, they bite me and the bitten area swells pretty bad.  I had one just below my elbow a couple weeks ago that made my whole forearm swell horribly and turn red.  Thankfully this bite on my face hasn't swollen too badly, and for some odd reason it has not itched as bad as the one on my arm.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm dangerous in the kitchen?  I'm a pretty good cook, but sometimes I have some really bad luck, or just get outright clumsy in the kitchen.  Saturday was one of those bad days.  I was making a new dish (yet another chicken enchilada recipe), and while the chicken was cooking I figured it would be a good time to run a knife through the sharpener.  I've done this countless times before, but for some reason I wasn't holding the sharpener correctly, and found out just how damn sharp the knife already was!  I raked it right across the top of my left birdie finger, just past my nail bed.  I threw the knife and the sharpener on the counter, grabbed a paper towel, and went to pout on my bed. 

After pouting for 10 minutes or so, I rummaged around to find a Band-aid and went to show Clydie my boo-boo.  It was still bleeding, so I clamped down on it again with my paper towel, and went looking for some gauze pads.  I know I have gauze pads in this house, with the amount of oral surgery that Steven and I have had over the past few years, and other wounds that we've had to bandage, but of course I couldn't find a single freaking gauze pad.  Clydie found one and we wrapped it around my finger and put a bandage over it, and I returned to the kitchen.

Oh and I almost cut a finger on my other hand with another knife that I tried using to cut the medical tape that I was going to use to further secure the gauze and bandage, so I just put the knives down, put a latex glove on the boo-boo hand, and chopped the onions in the food processor!  I finished cooking dinner, unloaded the dishwasher, loaded it up, washed what wouldn't fit, and then dinner was ready.

Sunday was a better kitchen day for me, I cooked fried lasagna, sauteed some cauliflower, and baked a chocolate chip cheesecake dessert.  Plus made some "tiger bark" for Brian.  I just kept trying to trip when it was bedtime, having trouble with our throw rugs and my actual feet.  Thankfully I didn't hurt myself!

I hope everyone else had a good weekend and managed to not hurt themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment