Saturday, May 5, 2018

Cinco de Mayo

Nothing special going on today for Cinco de Mayo.  We don't celebrate it, and we avoid Mexican restaurants like the plague on the "holiday".  Too damn crowded!  We're not even drinking tequila today.  Beer maybe, whiskey perhaps, but no tequila.  I don't even think we have tequila in our liquor cabinet.  Tequila has not been my friend ever since I turned 40.  TEN years ago!  OMG I can't believe it's been that long!


Last weekend we made an overnight trip to the lake to pick up the dining room furniture that my grandmother left for me.  It was a really quick trip, drove down Friday after work, Mom and my uncle cooked us breakfast Saturday morning, then we loaded up the trailer and headed back home.


Side note - I was surprised at how hard it was to be in Meme's house again.  The last time I'd been there was for her funeral last year.  Then I screwed up when talking to Brian and said "Mom and Meme are waiting for you to get ready for breakfast", and he said "Mom and who?" and smiled.  I lost it.  He was so sweet and so understanding.


Our original intention was to swing by the mower shop and pick up our tiller (Brian dropped it off a month ago to get it serviced and they were on a month long turnaround), but when we realized that we'd never make it back by the time they closed, Brian's brother Ricky came to the rescue and picked the tiller up for us.  It was waiting for us when we got home, 45 minutes after the shop closed for the weekend.  Thank you Ricky!


We unloaded the furniture into the garage, then rested for the afternoon.  We were pooped from the ride and the loading/unloading of things, and the furniture will be fine in the garage for now.


Sunday we got up and went to work in the backyard and garden.  Brian ran the weed-eater, and I used the push-mower with the bag on it to mow the garden space.  He had to weed-eat part of the garden because it had grown so high and thick, the mower wouldn't have been able to handle it.  Then Brian got the tiller going and tilled the garden up, raking out the leftover greenery, and tilling it again.  I clipped some of the blackberry vines and honeysuckle off the fence in the yard, and had to run inside periodically to work on laundry.


Brian got the garden tilled again on Monday, tilling in fertilizer, and having Steven rake out any leftover greenery, and Clydie and I went down Tuesday and got everything planted (except for the peppers which Brian finally got around to planting yesterday).  So, we have peppers (jalapeno), zucchini, yellow straightneck squash, 2 rows of Jackson wonder butterbeans, 2 rows of purple hull peas, 3 rows of zipper peas, some corn, cucumbers, beet seeds, and black eyed peas.  We put the corn in a block in the back corner (that area historically has gotten more water during rain and watering than the rest of the garden), and we have some half-rows that have the cucumbers, beet seeds, and black eyed peas planted.  I need to find something to label the rows with, so we'll remember where everything is located and what seeds are planted where.


I cannot wait til our stuff starts growing and producing!  I love picking peas and shelling and canning them.  I suppose next month we'll also be hitting the farmers market in Forest Park to get a few bushels of this or that to put away.


This weekend I'll be repotting some peppers that I've sprouted from seeds, and maybe some of the hibiscus that I've sprouted (the big dinner plate variety, bright orange and yellow blooms).  We've also got to get the rest of the jalapenos planted.  I'm hoping we'll get some of the scattered showers that are forecast for Georgia, but the radar didn't look too promising today.  It's been overcast all day, and a little breezy, so at least that's a plus.


I hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment