Monday, June 4, 2012

Coming to an end....

Today is my last day in Southport.....Marion and I took my husband to the airport this morning so he can fly back to his deployment station in Kosovo.  Damn, I hated seeing him go.  We have had such a wonderful time together these past 12 days - sure the traveling and sightseeing was great, but it was even better just to be able to spend time with him.  But, he is more than half-way finished with this deployment, so we are on the short side of the whole deal before he gets home, and I can't wait!!!!!

The weather here has been wonderful, up until Thursday.  It was rainy and drizzly a good bit of the past 4 days.  Rainy all day yesterday, so we stayed in, surfed the net, and watched the Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe.  And of course today, it is beautiful again, sunshiny and will be a little on the warm side (nothing like Georgia has been lately, but quite comfortably warm). 

The food  here - I have had nothing bad, but then again I only ate one traditional English food - fish and chips, and that was quite good.  Experienced 2 different Italian restaurants, an Argentina steak house, some other type of steak house in Liverpool, and a few other local places.  Everything wasa beautiful, itsa mah favorite (inside joke with Salvatorre).


Friday I cooked my damn enchildas for dinner for everyone.  They don't sell Velveeta cheese here, so I had to improvise with monterrey jack sliced cheese and some grated "mature" cheese (aged cheddar), nor do they sell Ro*Tel tomatoes (had to use tomatoes with chillies and peppers) and it was actually quite good, better than the usual recipe.  Mom bought some Cadbury cake rolls (like Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls) and some type of snowball treat - Marion bit into a snowball and wow - he was excited at how good they were (Mom said he musta had an orgasm lol).

Oh I almost forgot - our trip to York Thursday - we went to the York Minster, which was very nice, and the Jorvik Viking Museum.  That was quite interesting - it was actually a ride that went through part of the exhibit, showing what a viking community may have been like, and then of course various artifacts, drawings, and skeletons.  At one point, there was a display of an actual human fecal specimen (yep, a turd), and an explanation of how it was found and what their diet would have been like.

So at dinner that evening (we ate at El Gaucho, I believe was the name, it was an Argentina steakhouse), Mom says "did you all see the babe ruth that was stuck up on the wall at the viking place?"  We were all like "huh?"  Took us a minute, then Marion starts laughing and says "of all the things for you to remember and to strike you as interesting, you had to bring up the turd on display".  Talk about loud, raucous laughter!  I laughed until I cried! 

I managed to laugh to the point of tears 3 different times over the past 12 days.  I haven't done that in quite a long time, and it was good to get that kind of release.  This has been a wonderful vacation, one that was busy yet relaxed, with plenty of things to do and see,  yet plenty of down time for relaxing and just doing nothing. 

And of course the nightmares are starting up, the ones about going back to work.  I had one last night, not sure what to make of it, but I've already decided today that I'm not going to let it bother me, or taint my thoughts about returning to work on Wednesday.  Work is what it is, and I will make the best of it, regardless of the circumstances.

I hope you all have had a great weekend, and will have a wonderful week.  I head back to the USA tomorrow, and back to my "normal" life, at least as normal as it can be with a deployed husband, and a son I'm leaving in England for another month.  Gonna get home, get me some mexican food for dinner, and pick up my furbabies and let them have a nice run and play at the park. 

Thank you Mom and Marion for a wonderful experience in England, thank you to my dear husband for taking his R&R in England, and I thank God for save travels for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment