Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Latest and Greatest

Lots of fun and exciting things are in store for me in the coming month.  I'm working on several different craft projects, which I cannot go into details here as some of those that occasionally read my blog may be recipients of said projects.  One involves fabric and the sewing machine, and others a skill I began learning last year - Knooking (knitting with a crochet hook).  I will share that one of the projects I'm working on is a blanket with the knook - it's made one square at a time, then you sew the squares together. I've made 4 squares so far, and so far, none of them are the same!  So this project is on the back burner for now. 






This past week I made some more of the homemade laundry detergent that we use.  Why make laundry detergent, when so many different kinds are available commercially?  Because it's cheaper to make it yourself!  The ingredients cost anywhere between $20-$25 to make, and it lasts at least twice as long as 1 jumbo bottle of Gain, which costs $21 at Sams.  A savings of $20-$25 might not mean a lot to some people, but when you're on a tight budget, it can mean a lot.  Here's a link to the recipe for the detergent.  The only thing I do differently is I use the Gain scent booster instead of the Purex Crystals or Downy Unstoppables.  If you try it, just use the scent booster that you prefer, or you can leave it out.  I always check for coupons on the ingredients, so sometimes it can cost even less to make the soap.  This last time I made the soap, I used a hand held cheese grater rather than getting out the food processor.  Less stuff to wash afterwards (plus my soap never grinds up like a coarse powder as pictured, as the soap is somewhat soft - I may try putting the soap in the refrigerator or freezer for a bit before grating it next time and see if I can get the same consistency as pictured).




***TMI WARNING***
So now for the fun and exciting news that some of you have been waiting for -  after much discussion and questions with my physician, and discussions with my husband and other family members, I have made a decision regarding which procedure I'm going to have that will help me with my period problems, and it is TADA - the partial hysterectomy!  This procedure will be the most beneficial and should provide me with the greatest relief for the majority of my issues. 




My surgery is scheduled for December 4.  I cannot wait to have no more periods!  Woot woot!




For those of you that know of my strong desire to have a baby - making the decision to have this procedure has not been taken lightly, and many tears have been shed (and are still being shed occasionally) over this lost dream.  But honestly, I had to face reality and part of my lengthy discussions with my doctor were concerning the possibilities and likelihood (or lack thereof) of a natural pregnancy, and the risks associated not just for me, but for a baby, for a woman my age.  It just wasn't meant to be, and I can live with that.




Besides - I am awakened in the middle of the night enough with the pups.  If we had a baby, I'd NEVER get a full night's sleep!  LOL







No comments:

Post a Comment