Sunday, December 6, 2015

Update Post-Surgery

I went under the knife this past Friday morning, for a "total hysterectomy", and it was robotically assisted.  Uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes are gone, ovaries are still with me, as they looked healthy.  When they wheeled me into the operating room, I said "holy shit it's cold in here" and everyone busted out laughing.  My surgeon said "welcome to your all girl surgical team", and mentioned that she'd be bringing in the male physician in her practice later in the procedure.  I had to scoot off the stretcher and onto the table, and heard those dreaded words "scoot down some more" lol.  They put the mask on my face, and next thing I knew I was in my room. 




I don't recall being in a recovery room, and honestly I don't remember much at all from Friday.  My mom, dad, husband, son, and mother-in-law were in and out from what I gather.  My co-worker stopped by for a minute and I think I woke up just enough to introduce her to my dad and mom (she'd already met Brian, Steven and Clydie).  I vaguely remember my doctor stopping by at some point, telling me that I was going to have to stay the night because I was just too sleepy from the medications and I was fine with that.  She checked my incisions and that's all I remember.




At some point I woke up and Mom mentioned that they brought me some broth and jello.  I didn't want the broth, and ate some of the jello while she was there, and finished it after she left.  Brian stayed with me and I think he was disappointed that he didn't get to do much to help me, since I was pretty much drugged out of my mind.  The evening shift nurse got me up to walk once, and that was rough.  My legs felt like cement.  We walked a little way down the hallway, and I'd had enough. 




I remember the night nurse coming around midnight, another nurse at 4am to draw blood, then the night nurse came again around 5am.  My blood pressure was something like 76/45.  Extremely low.  In talking to my mother later yesterday, she mentioned that my blood pressure was very low all afternoon and evening on Friday.  No wonder I was so damn sleepy!




Brian left for drill around 5:30am, and the nurse came back and got me up walking a little later.  I walked a lot further that time, and sat in bed, waiting for breakfast.  Daddy was there when my surgeon came by and said I could go home.  I got the list of all the do's and don'ts, and my take home prescriptions, and I ended up having to dress myself, with no assistance.  Getting my socks and shoes on was a bitch!




I took a long nap yesterday afternoon, and had an awesome dinner.  I slept really well last night, thanks to my friend Percocet.  LOL    I've laid around a lot today, took a nap this afternoon.  The gas pains are the only problem I'm having right now, although this is much much better today than it was yesterday.  Yesterday those pains would stop me in my tracks, taking my breath away, but today they're a little more manageable (thank you Gas-X). 




I have 4 incisions in my tummy, and the one in my belly button hurts the worst.  The others aren't so bad.  I was closed up with surgical glue, and that feels kinda weird.  Some of it is peeling up off the unbroken skin, but I'm not about to pull that off, don't wanna rip open the wounds! 


Thank you to my mother, my mother-in-law, my dad, my husband and my son for being there to take care of me.  I appreciate all of you!




Thank you to everyone that sent prayers, positive thoughts, mo-jo and ju-ju to me, I greatly appreciate it.  I'll be spending the next couple weeks at home recuperating, hopefully will be able to return to work soon and back to hunting before the end of the season.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment