Monday, April 4, 2011

Choices

This is re-posted with permission by the writer, a dear friend of mine, Michael Collins.

I'm tagging you in this note because you are a younger person, or have kids or young friends, who still have a lot of living left to do.   Or, because I value you as a friend, and I want to share this with you.   Please read this carefully.  Think on it.  I can't emphasize enough how important this is.

We all have choices, every single day.  We make small and large choices. From the clothes we will wear that day, to the breakfast cereal we grab from the cupboard.  We choose which route to take to school or work.  We choose who we will speak to, and what kind of mood we will have.   Some choices are easy to change if we feel we've made a bad one.  But, some choices we make can have lasting and permanent effects on our lives. 

We have a lot of input when it comes to our choices.  Your heart tells you things.  Your brain tells you things.  Your friends, family, and even strangers tell you things.   Nobody is going to choose correctly every time.  But, when you know (and it's easy to tell) that you are faced with a choice that can completely change the path of your life, then reflect hard on it.   Take ALL the input you get, and weigh all the options.  The path of least resistance is rarely the best path to take. 

The best gauge I can think of for helping to choose wisely is you.  Who are you?  Is the choice you are about to make in line with the person you are?  Follow that answer with another question.  Have I been making good choices?  If so, then stay with who you are.  If not, then perhaps it's time to start making new choices, and beginning new habits and routines.

Since I was 18 years old, I have made some horrible choices.  Many of them have altered my life in ways that can never be changed, even if I start to make better choices.   I feel as though I have wasted talents, and gifts that God gave me because of my pettiness and short-sightedness. 

Don't fall into the trap of instant gratification.  Choose for long term happiness.  Choose for the strengthening of your character not the weakening of it.  Choose to be honest.  Choose to be tenacious.  Don't give up on your dreams and goals.   For me...it's too late to be able to reverse the effects of my incredibly bad choices.  I only hope that none of you ever have to give this type of advice based on your choices.

Thanks for reading.  I wish you all well.

The entirety of what Michael said is so very true.  We make choices every day, some good, some bad, some that won't have much lasting effects, and some that will follow you around for a lifetime.  While many times you can make changes that will turn things around, sometimes you're stuck with the choices you've made and there's nothing you can do to change them, other than try to make things for the best at that point.  Hopefully whenever any of you do make mistakes, you learn from them, and don't repeat them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment